Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I Believe

I believe that every negative experience can have a positive aspect and can be learned from. This is not to say that the positive aspect will outweigh the negative, but instead it will make you a better person. I haven’t always believed in this philosophy, but over time and through the ups and downs of my own life I have grown up to feel that even in the thick of things you can find good.
Birthdays were always something that I would flip out over. My sixth birthday was especially fantastic; there were balloons and streamers, and the scent of birthday cake was so strong that is was almost tangible. All was going well until my mom sat me down and said she had a big surprise for me. Of course, I assumed it was an early birthday gift, but to my dismay her “good news” was that we were moving within a week’s time. My heart just about dropped down to my toes, and I could already feel the tears streaming down my face. I was about to leave everything I knew; my friends, my school, my memories.
Oddly enough, that particular move was to be the first of many… three towns in two years in fact. At first moving was brutal. Kid’s faces seemed to glare back at me as if to say “I’ve already got friends so leave me alone.” It was like being the ultimate stranger, and I didn’t like it one bit. So, in a short time I learned that being outgoing and keeping an open mind were the best techniques in fitting into new places. I went from living in the suburbs, to the city, and now finally to the country, and I still manage to make things work.
Even though the start of this chain reaction had seemed incredibly horrible, I can honestly say that today I wouldn’t be the person I am if I hadn’t been forced to move so much. For one thing, I’ve experienced things from monster truck shows to operas and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m proud that I’ve been able to adapt and change to any situation that I’ve been thrown into.
At the end of the day moving around has taught me to have a positive outlook on life and, more importantly, to try and focus on the good even when the bad seems overwhelming. Instead of concentrating on how I don’t really have a “hometown”, I think about how I have close friends in a good portion of the tri state area. I am thankful that I was thrown into different situations, because today as an adult I am better able to relate with people than I ever though possible. Either way you look at it, choosing a positive outlook over a negative one is the best way to live a happy and adventurous life.

2 comments:

NJ-Flies said...

As a child, talks about moving somewhere else always made me upset, and this essay is almost a mirror image of the feelings I felt when my parents would discuss a possible move. I love how you include specific details about the day they broke the news to you, it gave me a very descriptive visual.

ophelia said...

I did not begin moving around until I went to college. Of course, my moving choices were mine. They were not dictated by parents. However, there always has been a touch of sadness when leaving one place for another.

I agree that one can embrace the change and make the most of it. As you write, we can become better people if we embrace the change and make the most of it.

Thanks for sharing